Amanda-Users

Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)

2004-07-07 06:37:19
Subject: Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Alexey I. Froloff" <raorn AT immo DOT ru>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:34:40 +0200
Alexey I. Froloff wrote:

I'm trying to use amanda with HP Storageworks MSI5030 library.

It uses C7971A tpaes (100GB/200GB), but I can't find any amanda
tapetypes in th Net.  So, I ran amtapetype.  It was working for
about 12 hours with the folloeing results:

It runs much faster if you give it a realistic capacity estimate,
as the manual page warns you.  Something like:
  amtapetape -e 100g -f /dev/nst0 -t "HP-C7971A"

$ /usr/sbin/amtapetype -f /dev/nst0 -t "HP-C7971A"
Writing 1024 Mbyte   compresseable data:  26 sec
Writing 1024 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  71 sec
WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
Estimated time to write 2 * 1024 Mbyte: 142 sec = 0 h 2 min
wrote 3174843 32Kb blocks in 9709 files in 46846 seconds (short write)
wrote 847763 32Kb blocks in 5201 files in 20794 seconds (short write)
define tapetype HP-C7971A {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 1107 gbytes
    filemark 74466560 kbytes
    speed 1736 kps
}
amtapetype: could not rewind /dev/nst0: Input/output error

I think you ran into a tape write error the second time.
The second pass should write about twice as much files as the first pass. (When giving a realistic estimate the first pass writes about
100 files instead of 9709 files.  Much much faster.)

The size of a filemark is computed as the difference in data written
between pass 1 and pass 2 divided by the difference in number of
file marks written between pass 1 and pass 2.
Because you hit some error, that computation was wrong.
The tape length is the average of the two passes included the computed
bogus filemarks.

I think length and filemark are too large for this tapes.  Does
anybody uses same tapes with amanda?

P.S. Right now I figured how to turn HW compression off (with mt
utility) and started amtapetype again...

The hardware compression algorithm in the drive is capable of detecting
nearly uncompressable data and does not behave as most other drives do
(expanding that data by blindly applying the compression algorithm).
That means it is not that important to turn off hardware compression
for these drives.

But it is important to find out where that error came from.