Amanda-Users

Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)

2004-07-08 09:11:36
Subject: Re: Q: HP C7971A tapetype (Ultrium LTO 1)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:04:09 -0400
On Thursday 08 July 2004 08:50, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 at 8:35am, Gene Heskett wrote
>
>> On Thursday 08 July 2004 01:32, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
>> >* Alexey I. Froloff <raorn@> [040707 14:10]:
>> >
>> >Thanks to all for your help.  amtapetype finished successfully.
>> >
>> >$ /usr/sbin/amtapetype -e 100g -f /dev/nst0 -t "HP-C7971A"
>> >Writing 1024 Mbyte   compresseable data:  25 sec
>> >Writing 1024 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  72 sec
>> >WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
>>
>> Please disable this as it hides the true tapesize from amtapetype
>> AND amanda.  amanda can do a much better job of filling up a tape
>> if amanda knows how much a tape can hold.  You can use the
>> optional gzip compressor on portions of the system to much better
>> advantage in terms of achieved compression ratios, and generally
>> can stuff more data onto a tape than using the hardware compressor
>> can do.  Here, under what would be termed ideal conditions, I've
>> had amanda email me and rep[ort that it just put a bit over 12Gb
>> on a 4Gb tape that has the last 370megs reserved for something
>> else I'm doing here.
>
>Actually Gene, for this drive disabling hardware compression isn't
>necessary.  It's an LTO/Ultrium drive, and those are actually smart
> enough to not compress already compressed data.  Notice (below) how
> he still gets the full 100GB native capacity?  With those drives,
> you get the best of both worlds -- you can mix software and
> hardware compression.  Very, very slick.

And a bit expen$ive for my retired blood.  I've spent $200+ on a fresh
pair of drives here since the first of the year, and they are both
dead now, acting like worn out heads.  So if I ever get this machine
stable enough to worry about amanda, I'll see if I can make amanda
use dvd+-rw's instead.  But right now the video card died yesterday,
and an atempt to recomipile kde-3.2.3 is meeting with a bus error in
the middle of the qt-x11-free-3.2.3 build.  Hello...  Bus error?
Nothing in the logs, nada, zip zero.

>> >Estimated time to write 2 * 102400 Mbyte: 14400 sec = 4 h 0 min
>> >wrote 3244032 32Kb blocks in 99 files in 7310 seconds (short
>> > write) wrote 3244032 32Kb blocks in 198 files in 7666 seconds
>> > (short write) define tapetype HP-C7971A {
>> >    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression
>> > on)" length 101376 mbytes
>> >    filemark 0 kbytes
>> >    speed 13871 kps
>> >}

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.
Soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett, all rights reserved.