Amanda-Users

Re: Chg-scsi problem

2004-06-25 18:20:39
Subject: Re: Chg-scsi problem
From: eric AT cirr DOT com (Eric Schnoebelen)
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:13:19 -0500
cngo AT nmsu DOT edu writes:
- I'm running NetBSD 1.6.1 on Dell Lattitude. Here is the device information.
-
- -------
- st0 at scsibus1 target 1 lun 0: <HP, Ultrium 2-SCSI, F45H> tape removable
- st0: drive empty
- st0: sync (25.00ns offset 127), 16-bit (80.000MB/s) transfers
- ch0 at scsibus1 target 6 lun 0: <OVERLAND, NEO Series, 0417> changer removable
- ch0: async, 8-bit transfers
- ch0: 58 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 2 portals
- ch0: sync (100.00ns offset 15), 16-bit (20.000MB/s) transfers
-
- -----
-
- Although, I got the message, amdump still runs ok. However, I really
- want to get rid off that error message and to make everything works
- smoothly.

        The Ultrium probably needs a variation of the unload
command sequence, that the chg-scsi generic unload doesn't do..
(this is also true of the Exabyte drives.)

- Another thing. When I tried chg-chio, everything is fine. Could
- you please advise if I should you chg-scsi or chg-chio. I don't
- know what the advantages of chg-scsi is, compared with chg-chio.

        I've not done anything with the modern chg-chio.  (er,
actually, I updated a chg-chio, but that was several years
ago, and it's since mutated further into chg-scsi.)

- Is that because, with chg-scsi, you can create the inventory of
- tapes?

        That's one good reason.  Using the barcode reader in the
robot, and it's corresponding mapping between barcodes and
Amanda labels, allows much faster access to individual tapes.

-         I've already set emubarcode=1 in the chg-scsi.conf but I
- don't see any thing in labelfile and can't find the inventory
- anywhere. Any suggestion ?

        I don't know what ``emubarcode'' does, my system has
``havebarcode'', which I have turned on.. (I wonder, did the
name change between 2.4.2 and 2.4.4?  I'm still on 2.4.2,
although I'm starting the upgrade process this afternoon.)

        For ``havebarcode'' to be useful, there must be a
working barcode reader in the robot, and the tapes media must have
barcoded physical labels attached to the tape shells.  Several
vendors sell the  barcodes to attach, and at least one sells
media with the labels already attached.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric AT cirr DOT com
http://www.cirr.com