Amanda-Users

Is anyone using a dvd drive yet?

2004-06-23 14:02:29
Subject: Is anyone using a dvd drive yet?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:56:27 -0400
Greetings all;

I'm back from a week out in Nebraska, getting a son married off.  I
hope that you didn't get too many bounces as my mailbox was full when
I got X running again, which had died due to my changing the default
prompt in bash, which in turn screwed up the X startup, it would get
to the mouse intialization, report success in the log, but hang at
that point with no further disk activity.

Anyway, on arrival here, it appears my 2nd tape drive in as many
months is in the process of dying.

I recently bought a DVD+-RW, drive and a 25 pack of +- media.

While its burnt several cdr's just fine, the media I have appear to
not be compatible with cdrecord unless I buy the cdrecord-DVDPro
version from Jeorg.  I probably can, the $ is not a huge problem.

What I'd like from this group is some pointers on setting up the use
of this dvd drive as a 4.7GB tape equivalent.  I'd be glad to be
somebodies "guinea pig" :-)

There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.  Soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo.
 Please use in that order, starting now.  -Ed Howdershelt, Author
Additions to this message made by Gene Heskett are Copyright 2004,
Maurice E. Heskett,
all rights
reserved.