Amanda-Users

RE: AIT-2

2004-06-04 14:38:22
Subject: RE: AIT-2
From: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:20:06 -0700
It's been over a month, and I'm still having problems with my AIT-2 tape drive
(seems like I'm having a lot of amanda problems in general as of late).

As a recap...  I could successfully run amdump & have amanda write dumps to
tape.  But when I tried to restore data from Amanda via "am recover", I would
get the following errors:

tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: A lone zero block at 1639303
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 2

I've made more progress & am able to center in on the problem, I just don't
know how to resolve it.  My problem occurs when I use compression on a backup,
and have the backup written to tape.  For example:

Backup using Compression Fast with GNUTAR
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk - successful
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape - fails

Backup using no Compression with GNUTAR
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk - successful
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape - successful

My current Config:
Amanda - 2.4.4.p1       Tar - 1.13.94   Gzip - 1.3.5

Any suggestions are appreciated.

-Rob