Amanda-Users

Re: AIT-2

2004-06-04 16:38:42
Subject: Re: AIT-2
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:33:15 +0200
Dege, Robert C. wrote:

Backup using Compression Fast with GNUTAR
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk -
successful
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape -
fails

Backup using no Compression with GNUTAR
=======================================
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk -
successful
*) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape -
successful

I would do one more test: create 1 very big file, 1 Gbyte or more,
with garbage, calculate md5sum; and repeat the 4 steps above, each
time checking the md5sum of the restored file.

The reason I suggest this is that single-bit errors (because
bad RAM, or an overheated processor or alpha particles, or the
warranty on the chicken you sacrified has passed...) have immediate
effect on gzip, but go unnoticed many times in other situations.

It sure takes time to test this, but it helps ruling out hardware
problems, with very similar symptoms.