Amanda-Users

Re: AIT-2

2004-06-04 14:47:37
Subject: Re: AIT-2
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:44:45 -0400
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:20:06AM -0700, Dege, Robert C. wrote:

> It's been over a month, and I'm still having problems with my AIT-2 tape
> drive (seems like I'm having a lot of amanda problems in general as of late).
>
> As a recap...  I could successfully run amdump & have amanda write dumps to
> tape.  But when I tried to restore data from Amanda via "am recover", I would
> get the following errors:
>
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> tar: A lone zero block at 1639303
> extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 2
>

> I've made more progress & am able to center in on the problem, I just don't
> know how to resolve it.  My problem occurs when I use compression on a
> backup, and have the backup written to tape.  For example:
>

> Backup using Compression Fast with GNUTAR
> *) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk - successful
> *) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape - fails
>

> Backup using no Compression with GNUTAR
> =======================================
> *) Amrecover restoring data from an image in the holding disk - successful
> *) Amrecover restoring data from an image written to an AIT-2 tape -
> successful
>

> My current Config:
> Amanda - 2.4.4.p1     Tar - 1.13.94   Gzip - 1.3.5

gnutar jumped from 1.13.25 to 1.13.9? in one leap.
Some reported problems with these very recent versions.
I don't recall the nature of the problems, check the archives.
But a build of 1.13.25 would seem a reasonable approach to
see if that is the problem.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)