Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple NICs

2004-06-02 15:45:23
Subject: Re: Multiple NICs
From: Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:40:04 -0600
On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 11:35, Dege, Robert C. wrote:

> We'd like to back up a particular machine over the second NIC exclusively; is
> there a way to do that?  We want our 1 NIC to be dedicated for NFS, and the
> other NIC to be dedicated for Amanda traffic.
>
> Both NICs on the server are on the same subnet, and the IP of our client
> systems are on that subnet as well.
>
> Any hints, suggestions, or "point me at some docs" are appreciated.

Amanda just asks the system for a connection to IP <a.b.c.d>, and the
system sets it up over the shortest path in the routing table. And since
both NICs are on the same network, it's going to use the first one
listed in the routing table (and so will NFS).

I'd set up another network using private addresses for the amanda NIC,
with secondary IPs on the clients, and change the config files to the
new net. Then the best entry in the routing table to get to that net
would be your amanda NIX.

--
Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>