Amanda-Users

Amanda backup levels

2004-04-21 03:37:06
Subject: Amanda backup levels
From: "Jeroen Heijungs" <Jeroen.Heijungs AT Het-Muziektheater DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:33:01 +0200 (CEST)
Probably very stupid questions, but can someone shed some light on very simple
questions: what exactly are
the differences between the different levels of backup? I searched the
documentation and arcives but so far
I have not found the exact definitions.

As I understand:
- level 0 is full-backup
- level 1 is incremental backup, based on modification time (?)
- what are the higher levels ???

And to be sure:
- at least once per dumpcycle there is a fullbackup
- the other runs are mostly level 1 (incremental), so all changes to the
filesystems are on tape - is this
right ???

I ask now, because untill now we "only" had to backup FreeBSD servers acting as
routers, gateways.
firewalls, mailrelayservers etc. None of them had real fast-changing user-data,
so up-to-date restores were
not an high-priority issue and we never had to restore something (rock-solid
os!).
But now we are moving to imap-mail and that means that there are lots of
user-data which change very often
and have to restore more often (users delete mail-folders accidently), so I
have to be sure that all changed
data is backed-up every run, users do not want mails missing.

Last question:
- are there gui-frontends for the restore, that work for the helpdesk staff
(they cannont work with the
amrestore interface) ?

thanks in advance
Jeroen Heijungs