Amanda-Users

RE: tape device /dev/st0 not responding - RH9

2004-03-30 11:42:11
Subject: RE: tape device /dev/st0 not responding - RH9
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:37:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 at 11:25am, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote

> That unfortunately doesn't work.
>
> I don't know if /dev/nst0 exists in this config... I tried to use it in
> the beginning, to no avail. That is what debian calls it in the old
> configuration on the old Hard Drive. For some reason, Debian assigns it
> /dev/st0 in the boot log.
>
> the results of mt -f /dev/st0 status are:
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x1b (DLT 35GB).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>
> the results of mt -f /dev/nst0 status are:
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x1b (DLT 35GB).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

You *have* to use /dev/nst0 with amanda.  Amanda will not work with a
rewinding tape device.  From the outputs above, 'mt rewind' *shouldn't* do
anything, because the tape is already rewound.  What happens if you try to
amlabel a tape?  Even more basic, what happens if try to tar directly to
the tape?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering