Amanda-Users

Re: dumps too big

2004-03-26 15:46:25
Subject: Re: dumps too big
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:40:42 -0500
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:18:36AM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> "dumps too big" - the planner decided that there wasn't enough room
> on the tape for all of the partitions given its estimates so it decided
> to skip this one partition for the day.

Sort of.  The complete message was, "dumps too big, 4637885 KB,
but cannot incremental dump new disk".  Indeed, planner decided
there wasn't enough room on the tape, so it tried to bump
/usr3/agrawal from a full dump to an incremental to save space.
But it couldn't do that because it was a new DLE -- you can't do
an incremental dump without a full dump backing it (or if you
did, no space would be saved).

So the DLE was skipped because there wasn't room for a full dump
*and* the DLE in question couldn't be bumped to an incremental.

> "out of tape" means that the planner 'missed',

Yes.

> quite possibly because
> I've given a tape length estimate that was too large,

Possibly.  More likely it's because there were two new DLEs in
the run (not counting /usr3/agrawal, which didn't make it this
far), and they didn't compress nearly as well as Amanda was
expecting them to.  (Since Amanda lacked historical compression
stats for those DLEs, it based its estimates on a default
compression ratio, which is typically 50%, though it can be
configured in the dumptype.)

The next time those DLEs get full dumps, Amanda will be able to
guess better, since it recorded the compression ratios it
actually got on the run we're discussing.

> the the dump was
> left in the amanda work area. This left laksha's root in work area as
> well as the partition it was trying to put to tape when EOT was hit.

It looks that way to me.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau