Amanda-Users

big dump compare to tape size

2004-03-26 10:08:56
Subject: big dump compare to tape size
From: BRINER Cedric <work AT infomaniak DOT ch>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:04:05 +0100
hi,

I'm having problem with amanda when it backups big partition compared to what a tape can contain.

the tapes are 70Gb
and some dumps are about 30Gb

I've set the autoflush to yes.
Some times a get :

+ These dumps were to tape WeeklySet076. + *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: short write]].

so the tape have for example 45Gb already on it, when it tries to flush the
30Gb. So I end up that:
the 30Gb is not flushed
the others dumps (40 dumps of 1Gb) are not dump to the tape. When a lot of them
could be dumped

So:
-is amanda able to maximise the amount on data that it stores or does it only flush without any algorithm. -or my config file which is uncorrect -or Is there a way to breaks into smaller pieces the big dumps
my config file for the tape configuration

define tapetype DLT4000 {
       length 40000 mbytes     # 40 Gig tapes
       filemark 8 kbytes       # 16 also works, 32 doesn't
       speed 1536 kbytes       # 6 Mb/s accd to Compaq   ??? see bellow def of
DLT
}

thanks in advance

Cédric Briner