Amanda-Users

several questions

2004-03-24 01:49:53
Subject: several questions
From: Mathias Koerber <mathias AT koerber DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:46:08 +0800
a) is there a way to subscribe to amanda-users in digest mode?
  I was subscribed to the yahoo list in digest mode, bu to post I
  must subscribe to the main list, and that results in lots of individual
  traffic, so I'd like to subscribe only to the main list in digest and
  drop the yahoo group..

now to the real amanda questions:

b) is there a way to only run the planner to see how it would react to
  different changes to the amanda.conf file, but not doing the actual
  backups?

c) Is there a way to create a file-index from the backup tape itself?
  Amverify already runs the backup through a restore program (tar tf -)
  but pipes that to /dev/null. is there an option (or patch) for
amverify to save that information (possibly including other stuff it tests)?

d) I was looking into pre-post dump actions (eg to stop a database or email delivery) I found the tips to write a specialized tar (amgtar) script which does this. My question however is whether the protocol between server and client could handle this, or at least handle whether a pre-post function is to be called and
  its results etc.

I understand that security is an issue, which means that which scripts are allowed to run on each client should be controlled on that client itself, which speaks for a
  local amgtar.

Does anyone already have such a script which is flexible to support several pre/post dump (and pre/post estimate?) scripts as well as handles errors in such scripts?

thanks

Mathias Körber