Amanda-Users

RE: Avg Dump Rate and Compression

2004-03-24 01:37:16
Subject: RE: Avg Dump Rate and Compression
From: Fernando Serto <fernando.serto AT memetrics DOT com>
To: "'gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net'" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:33:40 +1100
> >yup. anyway, compression is off now (and was already set to none
> > when I sent this one).
>
> Drive hardware compression usually has a mind of its own.  In
> particular, many drives look at the header, and set the compression
> on if the tape has ever been written to with the compression turned
> on, and there is nothing amanda can do about fixing that.  Many
> drives have an indicator on the front panel called "dc", and if its
> lit while the tape is being written, then the compression is on.
>
> The only way I know of to fix such a tape is:
> rewind it
> read out the label to a scratch file using dd
> rewind it again
> turn the compression off with "mt -f device whatever turns it off"
> dd that scratch file back to the tape using the non-rewinding device
> dd at least enough data from /dev/zero to force the drive to
> flush its
> buffers.  This will force the drive to turn the header compression
> flag off and that tape will not be compressed again unless you turn
> compression back on.
>
> I noted in a previous msg that your drive is a DDS3.  This drive
> should be able to stream about 700k/second.  I'd concur that the
> holding disk isn't enabled, or is somehow miss-configured and that
> the drive is shoe-shineing the tape due to running out of data and
> having to back up and restart once the buffer is up to 50% full or
> so.  Thats a speed killer in addition to causing a lot of wear and
> tear on both the tape and the headwheel with all that starting and
> stopping that we suspect it may be doing.

I created a different configuration to backup a remote box, just to make
sure it could me better, and have a look at the results:

STATISTICS:
                          Total       Full      Daily
                        --------   --------   --------
Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:00
Run Time (hrs:min)         0:11
Dump Time (hrs:min)        0:06       0:06       0:00
Output Size (meg)         317.0      317.0        0.0
Original Size (meg)       317.0      317.0        0.0
Avg Compressed Size (%)     --         --         --
Filesystems Dumped            1          1          0
Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       870.2      870.2        --

Tape Time (hrs:min)        0:04       0:04       0:00
Tape Size (meg)           317.0      317.0        0.0
Tape Used (%)               2.7        2.7        0.0
Filesystems Taped             1          1          0
Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)  1249.0     1249.0        --

USAGE BY TAPE:
  Label            Time      Size      %    Nb
  fenestra01       0:04     317.0    2.7     1

DUMP SUMMARY:
                                     DUMPER STATS            TAPER STATS
HOSTNAME     DISK        L ORIG-KB OUT-KB COMP% MMM:SS  KB/s MMM:SS  KB/s
arara        /root       0  324630 324630   --    6:13 870.2   4:201249.0

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.4.4p2)

---
<a
href="http://www.memetrics.com/emailpolicy.html";>http://www.memetrics.com/em
ailpolicy.html</a>