Amanda-Users

RE: Avg Dump Rate and Compression

2004-03-23 22:53:15
Subject: RE: Avg Dump Rate and Compression
From: Fernando Serto <fernando.serto AT memetrics DOT com>
To: "'Frank Smith'" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:48:07 +1100
> > My doubt is... isn't 324.7 K/s for dump rate too slow? I
> was backing up 1Gb
> > of data and it's taking almost 1 hour! does that mean that
> for 12Gb I'll get
> > something close to 12 hours?
>
> Probably, unless something changes.

I hope it changes. :o)

> > another thing, I tried using compress server best and
> compress client best
> > and I get no difference at all on the backups, same time to
> run, same amount
> > of data, and same tape usage.
>
> Is 'handsoff' the server itself, or another machine?  If it is the
> server, then it would be the same either way.

yup. anyway, compression is off now (and was already set to none when I sent
this one).

> > NOTES:
> >   planner: tapecycle (1) <= runspercycle (1)
> >   planner: Last full dump of handsoff:/home/data/archive on
> tape DailySet01
> > overwritten in 1 run.
>
> This is OK for testing, but would be a big problem for real
> backups.  What
> does your tapecycle, runspercycle, and runtapes look like?

well, this is just a test, but I'll run a full backup once in a while for
this box. I'll set up other backup clients to use a different conf file.

> Since the taper and dumper stats are almost identical, I'm
> guessing you
> aren't using a holdingdisk.  Configuring one could greatly
> increase your
> taper speeds since the tape must constantly stop and reposition itself
> if the dumper can't keep up, and the dumper has to stop each time the
> tape does since there isn't much buffering in between.

I followed all the steps for this, but I'm not sure if I'm using it or not.

>   If this is old slow hardware then the compression might also limit
> your speed.

it was set to none. doesn't matter what I use for compression, the backup
time is the same.

thanks!

---
<a