Amanda-Users

Re: Firewall and Portrange Settings

2004-03-18 08:55:32
Subject: Re: Firewall and Portrange Settings
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:52:51 -0500 (EST)
Stefan G. Weichinger said:

<snipped>

> By compiling your own binaries you get the freedom to choose YOUR own
> setup, to set YOUR firewall-settings, to assure that YOUR version of
> AMANDA does exactly the job you want it to.
>
> And it stays YOUR setup with each new release of AMANDA.
>
> All this with a small shell-script.
>
> I think this is worth the effort of figuring out the
> configure-options.

I would agree that compiling is pretty easy. You can even recompile included
Linux distribution packages if you get the source package and do a few simple
steps.

However, there are still big advantages to using "stock" packages. For
instance, I have an internet-accessible Debian machine that checks for
security updates every hour and automatically installs any that it finds. If I
have amanda installed using the "stock" Debian package, any vulnerabilities in
amanda that get patched by the Debian maintainer will automatically be
installed.

If I do my own package, this update needs to wait until I am around to pay
attention to it, which might take a week if I am away on vacation. I suppose
there may be a way to also recompile/source install Debian packages when
upstream security updates become available, but I haven't figured it out yet.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator