Amanda-Users

Re: Firewall and Portrange Settings

2004-03-17 12:04:56
Subject: Re: Firewall and Portrange Settings
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Barry A. Trent" <btrent AT triticom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:01:54 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 at 10:47am, Barry A. Trent wrote

> I'm using amanda to back up about Linux 10 machines, some through a
> firewall. I'm looking at making the "holes" I've got punched in the
> firewall a little smaller and two questions arise:
>
> 1) It seems that the --with-tcpportrange and --with-udpportrange
> options designed to make usage through a firewall easier are strictly
> compile-time options. Wouldn't these be more appropriate as run-time
> options, perhaps in amanda.conf? I'm using pre-packaged builds for

Yes they would -- patches accepted.  :)  If you look through the list
archives, you'll find that there is agreement that there is a bunch of
stuff decided at compile time that shouldn't be, but that it's not really
all that easy to fix and there's more pressing development issues.

> several different flavors of Linux and I'd rather not have to
> compile/maintain a bunch of different executables if I can avoid it.

A lot of us find it rather easy to admin amanda this way with scripts to
ease compilation.

> 2) Is there some way to get a pre-compiled version of amanda to tell
> me what portrange settings it was compiled with? I know I can observe
> the sessions on the wire and figure it out that way, but I'm hoping
> there is an easier way.

If you look in /tmp/amanda/amandad*debug, recent versions will tell you
the compile time options.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering