Amanda-Users

Re: client with "private" address

2004-03-09 14:22:18
Subject: Re: client with "private" address
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:20:01 -0500
Nevermind--I just added the address of the server to /etc/hosts on the client and that fixed the problem.

Some very useful information in "man gethostbyname" and "man gethostbyaddr" /etc/host.conf may be consulted for the res order for those two calls. The default is to check bind first, but you can override that by putting

order hosts, bind

in /etc/host.conf.  At least that's how it works on some flavors of Linux.

Jonathan Dill wrote:

I want to backup a client on a "private" network 10.160.32, but amanda seems to be looking for a DNS to resolve the IP, and then do a reverse lookup on the IP to get the hostname. Is there a way to do this without setting up a DNS for 10.160.32? I wish amanda would just believe the address that I put in disklist instead of double-checking with a DNS. Does she not trust me? Am I not trustworthy?

I guess I'll pick at the docs for gethostbyaddr and gethostbyname calls to see if there is any way to modify their behavior, or if there is a different routine that I could plug in that would check /etc/hosts first, or something like that.

--jonathan