Amanda-Users

Re: Solaris 8 and L200

2004-03-09 09:32:38
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 and L200
From: Glenn Zenker <Glenn.Zenker AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:24:21 -0500
Great! I got MTX installed and I can move the tapes around like I want to. That is working perfectly so far.

Now, when I'm trying to use Amanda I am still getting errors, I'm not sure where the errors are:

%amverify DailySet1
Tape changer is /usr/local/etc/amanda/mtx-changer...
1 slot...
Verify summary to root
Defects file is /tmp/amanda/amverify.9432/defects
amverify DailySet1
Tue Mar  9 09:24:42 EST 2004

** Error loading slot current
amtape: could not load slot mtx-changer:: Can't get changer parameters; Result was Request Sense: Long Report=yes mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!) mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00 mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00 mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no INQUIRY command Failed
Errors found:
amtape: could not load slot mtx-changer:: Can't get changer parameters; Result was Request Sense: Long Report=yes mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!) mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00 mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00 mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no INQUIRY command Failed

Any ideas why I'm getting this now?

Christoph Scheeder wrote:
Hi,
first: please keep this task on the list, it gives other people the
posibility to jump in and correct me if i tell you something wrong....

I guess this is a scsi-tapechanger, correct? then you have a few
possibilities to get the robot moving:
chg-scsi, mtx, and possibly more, i don't know all the free available tools to make tape robots move, espacialy for solaris as i am using
linux on all my servers and i opperate my tapechanger all with chg-scsi.

so now we are at the point where one of the solaris-people here on the
list should jump in to help you further, but the need a little more info
on your problem likthe exact type of your changer, which version of
amanda you use, if you compiled it your self etc.

Christoph

Glenn Zenker schrieb:

Thanks, that is a big help! I'll switch to another script and see what happens.

Do you know if Amanda can move the robot?? Currently, the only software we have works through a webpage.

Thanks,

Glenn

Christoph Scheeder wrote:

Hi,
You have configured amanda to use chg-multi as changer script.
i don't think this is what you want. chg-multi is used with
multiple tapedrives to form a virtual tape-robot.
use one of the other chg-scripts, depending on which software
you use to move your robot.
Christoph

Glenn Zenker schrieb:

I have amanda installed when I run the following command as the user amanda

/usr/local/sbin/amverify DailySet1 0

I get this:

Tapes:
Errors found:
amtape: could not load slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty

amverify DailySet1
Thu Mar  4 13:18:52 EST 2004

** Error loading slot 1
amtape: could not load slot 1: chg-multi: slot is empty

If anyone can lend a hand with how they configured their L200, that would be greatly appreciated.