Amanda-Users

Re: Strange DNS lookup problems ... I think ...

2004-03-06 09:16:48
Subject: Re: Strange DNS lookup problems ... I think ...
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Geoff Swavley <geoffs AT radx DOT net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:13:05 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 at 2:44pm, Geoff Swavley wrote

> I run 25 schedules per night, and only 1 ... this one ... gives me some
> heart-ache. I know it must be something other than DNS but all of the
> error messages are trying to send me down that garden path. The amanda
> host machine is "windamere", and schedule6 backs up "intrap". I can log onto
> both machines and easily do forward and reverse lookups on both hosts, so I
> know
>
> there is no DNS issue.
> windamere[26]% nslookup intrap
*snip*
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   planner: ERROR intrap:  [addr 172.24.16.86: hostname lookup failed]

Amanda may be using different system calls than nslookup.  John R. Jackson
posted a couple of little utilities that use the same syscalls as amanda.
I put them up at:

http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/gethostbyaddr.c
http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/gethostbyname.c

See if those work.