Amanda-Users

Re: Strange DNS lookup problems ... I think ...

2004-03-05 02:03:06
Subject: Re: Strange DNS lookup problems ... I think ...
From: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
To: Geoff Swavley <geoffs AT radx DOT net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 07:59:50 +0100
hi geoff,

i've had a similar problem about a week ago. look at this report-snippet
(i've taken out the hosts and ip's):

These dumps were to tape daily09.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
The next new tape already labelled is: daily10.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  nptn.some.net /var/lib/mysql_backup lev 0 FAILED [nptn.some.net:
[addr 1.2.3.4: hostname lookup failed]]
  nptn.some.net /etc lev 0 FAILED [nptn.some.net:  [addr 1.2.3.4:
hostname lookup failed]]
  nptn.some.net /home lev 0 FAILED [nptn.some.net:  [addr 1.2.3.4:
hostname lookup failed]]

also in my case, it's very unlikely that it's a dns issue. we run our
own nameservers, and none have had any downtime. forward and reverse is
also properly configured..

i have no answer to your question, but in my case the problem seems to
have fixxed itself.. the next day this host was backed up properly, and
i've had no problem since. maybe amanda's dns lookup process is a bit
flakey?

regards,
-Rodi Evers