Amanda-Users

Re: server lookup failing

2004-03-03 12:35:07
Subject: Re: server lookup failing
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: George Kelbley <kelbley AT cs.unm DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:31:22 -0500
I have run into this problem before with NIS when "ypbind" crashed on some of the clients--this has been a chronic problem for me with Linux talking to IRIX NIS servers. Consequently, I put the amanda host IP, amanda user and group IDs in the local files so that ypbind crashing would not muck up the backups.

amanda doesn't cache any IPs AFAIK, but the OSes of the clients probably do. Also, special case if you are using NIS--you have to make sure "hosts" is updated in NIS and you have re-run ypmake manually, plus in IRIX 6.X you may need to do the nsadmin commands on the NIS master. Also, check the clients to see what's in /etc/nsswitch.conf if it exists--that should tell you what data sources are checked and in what order. It's interesting that "host" works and amanda does not--perhaps they use different host lookup mechanisms, and you could get clues from looking at the source code of both programs.

As for the clients, it's going to vary depending on the client OS, but here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

# IRIX 6.X
nsadmin flush
nsadmin restart
# Linux with cacheing-nameserver
/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart
# Linux with tmdns
/etc/rc.d/init.d/tmdns restart

George Kelbley wrote:

After changing the IP on my amanda server, many of my clients fail amcheck with "host name lookup fail". The server is resolved via dns (not in /etc/hosts), running "host" on the clients returns the proper IP. Re-booting the client fixes the problem, but I'd rather not reboot all my clients. So, does amanda cache the server IP somewhere that I can flush? I been looking around but have't found anything.

thanks