Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?

2003-10-26 15:37:20
Subject: Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?
From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree AT gmx DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:31:05 +0100
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Amanda Admin wrote:

> > dumpcycle 14 days       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
> > tapecycle 6 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
> > bumpsize 1500 Mb        # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
> > bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
> > bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
> > runtapes 1              # number of tapes to be used in a single
> > run of amdump
> >

> You left out your runspercycle setting, which is pertinent to your
> complaint.

It is not in my configuration file (not even as comment), so I assume
it's at the default. I started off with some older amanda 2.4 version
which apparently didn't have this setting.

I've now moved in the "missing" bits from a current example.conf.

> If your runspercycle is either specifically set greater than 5 or is left at
> its default (same value as dumpcycle), than you're asking for trouble,
> which, apparently is what you're complaining about.

OK, it's the default, and I don't run Amanda daily, so the default is
unsuitable for my setup - I need to set typecycle to 7 or higher or
lower my runspercycle or dumpcycle.

> Look at your reports, I'm sure you will see a message complaining that a
> level 0 is being overwritten. Maybe that complaint isn't loud enough for

Occasionally, yes.

> Perhaps a warning should be added to amdump and amcheck to alert users to
> the situation when tapecycle is less than dumpcycle.

Much appreciated.

This should then be safe for me:

dumpcycle 7 days
tapecycle 6 tapes
runspercycle 3 # or maybe four if I run four times a week

(I can't bump tapecycle up on short notice, so I'll simply force level 0
more often.)

--
Matthias Andree