Amanda-Users

RE: Question about /etc/inetd.conf

2003-10-24 13:18:48
Subject: RE: Question about /etc/inetd.conf
From: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen AT stbernard DOT com>
To: "Paul Bijnens" <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:15:10 -0700
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> What version is this client using?
> This was fixed 24-MAR-2002 and released in 2.4.3b4 on 29-AUG-2002.

2.4.1p1 -- I know it's quite old. For legacy reasons I can't upgrade just yet
(soon though!)

> For the estimates the server sends a UDP request to the client,
> and client sends a UDP packet when estimates are done (possible
> problem here is maximum UDP packetsize: it must be large enough
> to hold all DLE's at once, or your firewall could already have
> timed out the reply).

[ ... snip ... ]

> For each DLE, server sends a UDP packet to the client and client
> answers in a UDP reply packet on which TCP ports it will listen.
> There are 3 TCP ports that the server needs to connect to: one
> for the data, one for the error messages, and one for the index.

So I might need to allow UDP packets through from the DMZ to the LAN. That
depends on how things go tonight with the corrected inetd.conf.

> The client also checks that the server uses a privileged port (< 1024);
> NAT could interfere here too.)

No NAT for the server going out. Unlikely that's a problem.

Thank you for your help, Paul!

--
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer