Amanda-Users

Re: Question about /etc/inetd.conf

2003-10-24 13:07:57
Subject: Re: Question about /etc/inetd.conf
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: David Olbersen <DOlbersen AT stbernard DOT com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:04:40 +0200
David Olbersen wrote:

I just noticed that on one of my machines having a hard time being
backed up it was missing the last 'amandad' in the inetd.conf entry.
What I mean is that it read:

amanda dgram udp wait dumper /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad

instead of

amanda dgram udp wait dumper /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad amandad

Would this typo prevent the machine from being archived? The amanda
reports it as failed with a request timeout.

What version is this client using?
This was fixed 24-MAR-2002 and released in 2.4.3b4 on 29-AUG-2002.

I suspect there are other problems because it's in our DMZ, while the
backup server is in the LAN. If I understand how Amanda operates:
 1) A TCP connection is made from server --> client effectively saying
"backup now".
2) That connection is dropped while the client uses dump/tar/whatever. 3) When the client is done with dump/tar/whatever it establishes
another connection to the server (client --> server) and sends back
data.

Is that the correct high-level process? If not, what have I missed?

No:  see in docs/PORT.USAGE for a good explanation.

1) is a UDP connection, actually several: one for estimates, and
one for each DLE.
2) udp does not need to be dropped because it is connectionless
3) my clients certainly do not have the space to store the dumps
locally before transmitting it to the server :-)

For the estimates the server sends a UDP request to the client,
and client sends a UDP packet when estimates are done (possible
problem here is maximum UDP packetsize: it must be large enough
to hold all DLE's at once, or your firewall could already have
timed out the reply).  The client also checks that the server
uses a priviledged port (< 1024); NAT could interfere here too.)

For each DLE, server sends a UDP packet to the client and client
answers in a UDP reply packet on which TCP ports it will listen.
There are 3 TCP ports that the server needs to connect to: one
for the data, one for the error messages, and one for the index.