Amanda-Users

Question about /etc/inetd.conf

2003-10-24 10:28:30
Subject: Question about /etc/inetd.conf
From: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen AT stbernard DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:23:43 -0700
Hello all!

I just noticed that on one of my machines having a hard time being backed up it
was missing the last 'amandad' in the inetd.conf entry. What I mean is that it
read:

  amanda dgram udp wait dumper /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad

instead of

  amanda dgram udp wait dumper /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad amandad

Would this typo prevent the machine from being archived? The amanda reports it
as failed with a request timeout.

I suspect there are other problems because it's in our DMZ, while the backup
server is in the LAN. If I understand how Amanda operates:
1) A TCP connection is made from server --> client effectively saying "backup
now".
2) That connection is dropped while the client uses dump/tar/whatever.
3) When the client is done with dump/tar/whatever it establishes another
connection to the
   server (client --> server) and sends back data.

Is that the correct high-level process? If not, what have I missed?

--
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer