Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with my shell wrapper

2003-10-14 16:11:08
Subject: Re: Problem with my shell wrapper
From: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
To: Kin-Ho Kwan <kkwan AT hxti DOT com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Kin-Ho Kwan wrote:

> *Hi,
>
> I am using shell wrapper to run my pre- and post- backup scripts.
> However, when Amanda runs my new dump script, I get such
> error message.
> *
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   mymachine /dev/sda11 lev 0 STRANGE
<clip>
> *Is there anything wrong with my wrapped dump script or I cannot wrap
> the dump script at all? My wrapped dump script is attached
> below.

You're not seeing a problem.  You're seeing a normal message.  Further in
the dump report would be the information about what was considered
"strange".  Often this will be files that dissappear, or change, during
the dump process.  For example:

? gtar: ./tmp/sess_09d0452039863a0ebf500561926ea4ec: Warning: Cannot stat:
(null)

This is a session file that was removed between the point that gtar
started and the point when gtar tried to add the file to the archive.

I haven't reviewed your script, but you should probably add handling for
these STRANGE messages.  They don't imply a problem with the dump, but
they generally should be reviewe.

---
david raistrick
drais AT atlasta DOT net                http://www.expita.com/nomime.html