Amanda-Users

Re: Tapetype output

2003-10-08 16:42:25
Subject: Re: Tapetype output
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Bradley Glonka <bglonka AT sofanou-inc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:37:54 +0200
Bradley Glonka wrote:
Hi --
I'm trying to get a good tapetype definition
Below is what I get. Can it be possible to have a filemark At 0 kbytes?

Yes, it could be very well.  Some tapes use a small gap between
two files to mark the boundary between them.  It could just
as well be implemented with some out-of-bound data that does
not take any space.
Amtapetype tries to measure it, but could not detect a significant
difference.

This is a LTO Utrium 1 tape drive with "intelligent compression"
I can't seem to turn compression off

[amanda@kiwi amanda]$ /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amtapetype -e 100g -f
/dev/nst0
Writing 1024 Mbyte   compresseable data:  27 sec
Writing 1024 Mbyte uncompresseable data:  71 sec
WARNING: Tape drive has hardware compression enabled
Estimated time to write 2 * 102400 Mbyte: 14200 sec = 3 h 56 min
> wrote 3244032 32Kb blocks in 99 files in 7444 seconds (short write)
> wrote 3244032 32Kb blocks in 198 files in 7757 seconds (short write)
>
> define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression on)"
    length 101376 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 13663 kps
}

Seems very reasonable to what should be expected.

--
Paul