Amanda-Users

Re: Irix 6.5 GNU tar dump speed

2003-10-08 14:27:56
Subject: Re: Irix 6.5 GNU tar dump speed
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:21:31 -0700
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:36:29PM +0200, Alexander Jolk wrote:
> ethernet.  I'm getting dump rates around 2MB/s from Origin200 servers
> running Irix 6.5, which makes my backups take all day.
>
> I have already disabled client compression and enabled server
> compression.  That gave me a boost from 800KB/s to 2MB/s, so I don't
> believe I'm saturating the network.

Make sure you're doing 'compress server fast', not 'best' (--fast is
the default, so probably not your problem; --best is at least 4X
slower).

I find that a 2.4GHz P4 will 'gzip --fast' a data stream at
10-12MB/s, with no other load on the box.

Run the same tar that amanda runs by hand, standalone on the Origin200
box and see what you get.  You can get the command line from
/tmp/amanda on the Amanda client, assuming that is enabled.

> Do any of you have ideas how I can get a significant speed-up here?  I
> need a factor of 5 at least, the more the better, and I can't believe
> Irix's xfs is that slow.  For comparison, a 2.4GHz Xeon running Linux
> with ext3 gives me 40MB/s.

Is that the same file system content as the Origin200 box?  In my
experience, 100GB comprising 100 1GB files tars MUCH faster than
100GB comprising 10M 10KB files, and 4MB/s would be on the low end
of possible for the latter (depending on the disk hardware, etc.).

Next you make sure it's not just a network problem (duplex mismatch,
etc.) by pushing a single big file with rcp/ftp.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461