Amanda-Users

Re: index files missing on non-flushed backups

2003-10-08 04:34:29
Subject: Re: index files missing on non-flushed backups
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Tomas Maly <tomas_maly AT financialcircuit DOT com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:31:11 +0200
Tomas Maly wrote:

tapecycle on the Diff backups (tuesday-friday) is 1 tapes. tapecycle
on Full backups (sundays) is set to 3 tapes.

Perhaps the tapecycle 1 erases other files?

Yes.  So you are sharing the index files with two configs,
and the two configs erase each others indexes.  First suggestion
is to not to share the index directories in the two configs.

Ultimately, my goal with two configurations and a tapecycle of 1 on
the diffs is that i want to be able to take a full backup on weekends
(I want it forced), yet on weekdays, do differential backups, but ON
THE SAME TAPE (i.e., there are two labels, Diff0000 and Full0000).

So you have only two tapes.  One with label "Full0000", inserted only
in the weekends, and another labelled "Diff0000" inserted during the
week and overwritten each day.

These are indeed very narrow constraints.  (I hope you are aware that
while making your full backup, you temporarily have no backup at all,
because you're overwriting the only one that exists; same for the
incremental backups.)

I would use one config, with two tapes that I insert each weekend,
and during the rest of the week doing a backup to holdingdisk only.
Specifying "reserve 100" will prevent doing full backups when there is
no tape inserted, and specifying "autoflush" will even flush those
incremental backups on the same tape as your fulls in the weekend.

Actually, reconsidering this, I would buy a couple of tapes extra
and get a cheap large holdingdisk at the same time too.

PS. this kind of problem happens when you buy a very expensive
tapedrive, and then notice there is no money left for the tapes.
The scheduling scheme in amanda is actually very good for
stretching an old small capacity tapedrive to its limits (I used
to backup about 90 Gbyte to two DDS-2 drives with 4 Gbyte native capacity with a 2 week dumpcycle, before I upgraded my drives.)