Amanda-Users

Re: problem labelling tapes

2003-10-08 04:27:57
Subject: Re: problem labelling tapes
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 09:23:52 +0100 (BST)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the block size to zero, as
per below output. Prior to this, it would appear that it was set
to 512 bytes (not sure where you got 9 from ?).

=================================
[root@phantom root]# /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=64, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x26 (DDS-4 or QIC-4GB).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

[root@phantom root]# /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0

[root@phantom root]# /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=64, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x26 (DDS-4 or QIC-4GB).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

[root@phantom root]#
=================================

I then tried labelling the tape with no joy as below. I erased
the tape and tried labelling again with the same response. What
seems strange, is that when I to label the first time it says
"are you sure /dev/nst0 is non-rewinding". I then run the exact
same command again and it works.

Is there any other way to erase a tape, apart from using
"/bin/mt erase" ?

=================================
bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amlabel daily daily01fri
rewinding, reading labelamlabel: strange amanda header: "AMANDA:
T"
, not an amanda tape
rewinding, writing label daily01fri, checking labelamlabel:
strange amanda header: "AMANDA: T"

amlabel: no label found, are you sure /dev/nst0 is
non-rewinding?
bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amlabel daily daily01fri
rewinding, reading label daily01fri
rewinding, writing label daily01fri, checking label, done.
bash-2.05a$
=================================

amcheck still reports the same:

=================================
bash-2.05a$ /usr/sbin/amcheck daily
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /tmp: 394696 KB disk space available, that's plenty
amcheck-server: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: T"
ERROR: /dev/nst0: not an amanda tape
       (expecting tape daily01tue or a new tape)

I seem to be losing ground. What does anyone think about getting
the tape drive serviced/replaced (ie. what are the possibilities
of it being a hardware problem and nothing to do with Amanda ?)

regards,
Tony.

 --- Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> wrote: > Tony