Amanda-Users

problem labelling tapes

2003-10-08 03:43:47
Subject: problem labelling tapes
From: Tony <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:39:09 +0100 (BST)
Hi,

I still haven't solved my previous problem (thread: "out of
tape ?"), however...

In attempting to do so, I have removed the tape drive from the
server it was in and put it in a different machine. The reason
for this was that the server is a production server that I
couldn't continually play with (or reboot, or halt to check the
tape drive jumpers, etc).

So I've put the tape drive in another machine and loaded RH 7.3
on it. I copied the amanda config across and then tried to run
an amcheck. The output I get is:

amcheck-server: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: T"
ERROR: /dev/nst0: not an amanda tape
       (expecting tape daily01tue or a new tape)

so i thought, OK it doesn't like the tape, I'll erase it and
re-label it.

So I erase:
/bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 erase
(tape drive makes noises and it takes 10 seconds or so before I
get a prompt back, so I assume it is erased ok)

Label:
/usr/sbin/amlabel daily daily01fri
amlabel: label daily01fri already on a tape

so I delete tape:
/usr/sbin/amrmtape daily daily01fri

now label again:
 /usr/sbin/amlabel daily daily01fri

rewinding, reading labelamlabel: strange amanda header: "AMANDA:
T"
, not an amanda tape
rewinding, writing label daily01fri, checking label, done.

So, it says it has labeled it, but if I run amcheck again, I get
the same output. The problem appears to be the header is still
the same. How can I get rid of the header "AMANDA: T" so that I
can get it to write the proper header to the tape ?

To recap system properties, to save anyone having to refer to
old posts:

amanda version: 2.4.2p2
RedHat: 7.3, 2.4.18-3 kernel
tape: internal DDS4 (DAT) 20/40 GB