Amanda-Users

Re: out of tape ??

2003-10-06 06:02:59
Subject: Re: out of tape ??
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 05:59:07 -0400
On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:43:29AM +0100, Tony wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for your response, see comments inline.
>

> regards,
> Tony.
>
>  --- Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com> wrote: > --On Monday,
> October 06, 2003 06:36:41 +0100 Tony
> >
> > So what was on the 'taper' line of the report ?  It should
> > look
> > something like:
> > taper: tape archive07 kb 43505184 fm 23 [OK]   (from one of my
> > reports)
> > which tells you how many bytes and images were successfully
> > written
> > to tape.
> >

> For the one using software-compression (gzip):
>
>   taper: tape daily01wed kb 14775776 fm 29 writing file: No
> space left on device driver: going into degraded mode because of
> tape error.
>

> For the one not using sw-compression:
>
>   taper: tape daily01fri kb 22303072 fm 29 writing file: No
> space left on device
>

> > Is the dump going to a holding disk and then streamed to tape,
> > or
> > as it looks like from the times, going straight to tape?  If
> > the
> > latter, if it isn't dumping fast enough the tape might be
> > catching
> > up and shoe-shining as it constantly backspaces and starts
> > over.
> > That can waste a lot of tape as well as being slow.
> >

> holding disk is defined as: 4000 MB

But what percentage of that is reserved for degraded mode incrementals?
The default is 100, i.e. you are not using it for full dumps.
If you ONLY do full dumps you should reserve 0.
And your largest FS's may not fit in 4GB.
If so, they must go directly to tape.
Not the most desired state.

> I will try setting this to a larger value, what is recommended ?
> Does Amanda have to dump each disk set to holding disk before it
> can be backed up to tape ? Or can Amanda stream to the holding
> disk at the same time the tape dumper is streaming that same
> file onto tape ?
>
> Not too sure on how fast you think it should be backing up, but
> according to the specs the native sustained transfer rate is "up
> to" 165MB/min. If you devide 20000MB by 165MB/min you get 121
> minutes (2 hours) which is pretty much exactly how long it is
> taking.
>
> http://www.certance.com/products/CertanceDrives/STD2401LW-S-TechSpec.html
>
> (this may not be the exact same drive, but the one I have is an
> IBM rebadged product that identifies itself as a Seagate drive,
> so it would be close to the URL above)

> Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
> Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk
>
>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)