Amanda-Users

amrecover performance and exclude list

2003-08-22 12:08:07
Subject: amrecover performance and exclude list
From: Pascal Robert <probert AT cesart DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:58:54 -0400
Hi list,

I have two questions for you:

1) any owners of HP SureStore DLT vs80 unit here ? If yes, what kind of performance do you have with amrecover. I did a recover this morning, it took 67 minutes to recover a single 2 bytes file. The backup take 7 minutes so are this unit is really that slow for reading ?

2) our backups are done with 'dump' so I backup whole filesystems, but I want to exclude some directories (example: /var/log and /usr). I read that I only have to create a (empty) .amanda_excludes file in the directory I want to exclude and to add this directive:

exclude list ".amanda_excludes"

in amanda.conf. But those directories are still being back up. This is my dumptype definition:

define dumptype hard-disk-compress {
global
comment "Back up to hard disk instead of tape - using dump"
holdingdisk no
index yes
priority high
compress client fast