Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover performance and exclude list

2003-08-22 12:22:58
Subject: Re: amrecover performance and exclude list
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Pascal Robert <probert AT cesart DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:14:15 +0200
Pascal Robert wrote:

I have two questions for you:

1) any owners of HP SureStore DLT vs80 unit here ? If yes, what kind of performance do you have with amrecover. I did a recover this morning, it took 67 minutes to recover a single 2 bytes file. The backup take 7 minutes so are this unit is really that slow for reading ?

I don't have a such a drive, but I should be much faster.
The 7 minutes, is that the dump time (to disk) or the time to write
to image to tape?
How large was the image? How fast is the tape for writing (see amanda
reports)?  What filenumber was it on tape?
Is the client a different machine (look for network problems)?
Did you specify "amrecover_do_fsf true" (should be much faster if the
image is near the end of tape).

2) our backups are done with 'dump' so I backup whole filesystems, but I want to exclude some directories (example: /var/log and /usr). I read

Excludes are for gnutar IRC.  (Amanda is only a backup scheduler;
it uses external programs to do the actual backups.  You're limited by
the functionality of those programs. Or does dump on your system allow
excludes?)

define dumptype hard-disk-compress {
global
comment "Back up to hard disk instead of tape - using dump"

strange comment, when you first ask if the DLT drive is fast enough :-)

holdingdisk no
index yes
priority high
compress client fast