Amanda-Users

RE: Tapeless Backup using chg-multi (ver. 2.4.1p1)

2003-08-12 16:51:11
Subject: RE: Tapeless Backup using chg-multi (ver. 2.4.1p1)
From: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:30:18 -0500
I tried the following things, and I still get the problem of "Not a device
file".

>(Jon LaBadie wrote:) If I understand changer-status, your comment "created
by wab" should not have been created or touched in any way by wab.

Well, I thought that I shouldn't be touching changer-status either, but
every time I went to do an "amlabel" (Which I thought would be a first step,
but I'll try ammt & amtape like you suggested), it kept prompting me, saying
stuff was missing from the changer-status! I think possibly I am referencing
this file in an incorrect location?

>(Jon LaBadie wrote:) You have two statefile definitions, one in
changer.conf and another
in changer-status.

Gah! *fixed*. I am using the one in /var/lib/amanda/DailyNAS1.

>(Paul Bijnens wrote:)Just verifying: you are using amanda 2.4.3 or later?

NO I am using 2.4.1p1.

One potential problem was maybe fixed: I did a manual check of the directory
I'm trying to use to back up to... and my user "backup" did NOT have
permission in the "data" directory! However, after doing this and attempting
to do amlabel, it still screwed up. So at least, I know that it's not that.

I sincerely thank you all for your help and patience.

p.s. I still can't figure out why I can't get my amanda.conf file to open...
it'll copy to the NAS (which has SMB installed as well) and all my other
config files I can open w/notepad & copy/paste into e-mail. Except for
amanda.conf. Root is supposed to have RW on this sucker, but I can view the
directory, delete the file, RENAME the file... but I cannot view its
contents or copy it to my desktop! Argh! Confusing permissions thing there;
ancillary to this problem.

Wayne