Amanda-Users

Re: Tapeless Backup using chg-multi (ver. 2.4.1p1)

2003-08-12 16:57:57
Subject: Re: Tapeless Backup using chg-multi (ver. 2.4.1p1)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:54:07 -0400
On Friday 18 July 2003 11:30, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
>I tried the following things, and I still get the problem of "Not a
> device file".
>
>>(Jon LaBadie wrote:) If I understand changer-status, your comment
>> "created
>
>by wab" should not have been created or touched in any way by wab.
>
>Well, I thought that I shouldn't be touching changer-status either,
> but every time I went to do an "amlabel" (Which I thought would be
> a first step, but I'll try ammt & amtape like you suggested), it
> kept prompting me, saying stuff was missing from the
> changer-status! I think possibly I am referencing this file in an
> incorrect location?
>
>>(Jon LaBadie wrote:) You have two statefile definitions, one in
>
>changer.conf and another
>in changer-status.
>
>Gah! *fixed*. I am using the one in /var/lib/amanda/DailyNAS1.
>
>>(Paul Bijnens wrote:)Just verifying: you are using amanda 2.4.3 or
>> later?
>
>NO I am using 2.4.1p1.

I won't go so far as to say it incompatible because it shouldn't be.
But there has been several million acre feet of water under the
bridge since that was new.

>One potential problem was maybe fixed: I did a manual check of the
> directory I'm trying to use to back up to... and my user "backup"
> did NOT have permission in the "data" directory! However, after
> doing this and attempting to do amlabel, it still screwed up. So at
> least, I know that it's not that.
>
>I sincerely thank you all for your help and patience.
>
>p.s. I still can't figure out why I can't get my amanda.conf file to
> open... it'll copy to the NAS (which has SMB installed as well) and
> all my other config files I can open w/notepad & copy/paste into
> e-mail. Except for amanda.conf. Root is supposed to have RW on this
> sucker, but I can view the directory, delete the file, RENAME the
> file... but I cannot view its contents or copy it to my desktop!
> Argh! Confusing permissions thing there; ancillary to this problem.
>
>Wayne

First, all amanda related files should be owned by whomever
(unpriviledged user) is actually running amanda.  Most will make that
ownership read amanda:disk, where amanda can be most any
unpriviledged user, and disk can be anybody with systemwide perms,
some systems could use 'sys' or system in place of disk.

So as root, one possible fix might be to cd into the parent directory
of any of the amanda stuff, and do a "chown -R 'youruser:yourdisk'
amanda".

Just to keep the system from biteing you, you should become this user
when editing amanda.conf, or any of the other config related files,
I've had linux very occasionally convert ownership to root:root,
which of course brings everything to a halt, with the screeching
usually being done by the root perpetrator :)

All this becomes automatic if you build from tarballs, following the
instructions in it.