Amanda-Users

Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?

2003-08-06 14:30:28
Subject: Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:25:07 -0400
donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com on Wed  6/08 12:26 -0500:
> How far do you want to take your paranoia?  I take it
> pretty far as a system admin, but I think I know where to
> draw the line.

what are you talking about? you think if anyone with root on
any client amanda backs up, or the DNS admin, can restore
files from any amanda-backed-up machine, that is paranoia?
I'm glad you don't work for us...

> I am not sure why you insist on clinging so stubbornly to
> localhost for DLEs,

only because no one seems to have a solid technical reason
not want to use them, but just talk about some kind of
voodoo magic; I don't cling to using localhost at all, I'm
merely saying there is nothing wrong with it (and my backups
run fine with it)

> use properly documented FQDNs for their systems.

ok how about localhost.localdomain.  That's an FQDN.

seriously, I agree that the real machine name should be used
if only for correctness; I only wish to understand WHY it is
said to be wrong and cause problems.