Amanda-Users

Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?

2003-08-06 12:17:12
Subject: Re: how to get columns to line up in summary?
From: Scott Mcdermott <smcdermott AT questra DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:45:24 -0400
Gene Heskett on Tue  5/08 20:02 -0400:
> > I've heard this before. What exactly is the problem with
> > localhost?  Could you elaborate?
>
> Primarily its a security issue because *any* machine can
> be localhost.  By using the FQDN, there is then no
> ambiguity as to which machine is being addressed.  Its
> simply good practice.
>
> amrecover and amrestore IIRC are trained to reject
> localhost because the files are portable, and trying to
> restore to localhost might even try to restore a wintel
> boxes code to a box with a moto cpu in it.  Thats a bit
> far fetched, but that is one scenario that won't, for
> obvious reasons, work.

but there is only *one* machine on which "localhost" is
used, and that is the amanda server, no? "localhost" always
means the same thing on that machine.

> Finally, amanda is a client/server model.  By using
> localhost, you are attempting to bypass that client/server
> relationship.

but localhost is a valid, relative hostname.  If I put
"localhost" in a DLE, then localhost is a known, unchanging
machine, relative to the machine that is using the name
"localhost"