Amanda-Users

Re: Good option for dumporder

2003-07-08 13:33:33
Subject: Re: Good option for dumporder
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: <bzahn AT zeus.okccc DOT edu>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:28:20 -0400
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 12:21, Bob Zahn wrote:
>I'm trying to set up the options in amanda.conf to improve the
>performance (this equates to shortest time to backup) of these five
>Windows NT/2K servers:
>
>server1 C$ 2.19GB
>server1 D$ 35.6GB
>server2 C$ 1.58GB
>server2 D$ 12.9GB
>server3 C$ 2.18GB
>server3 D$ 11.6GB
>server4 C$ 1.3GB
>server4 D$ 20.4GB
>server5 C$ 2.97GB
>server5 D$ 13.7GB
>
>If you run the backup on these servers single threaded it takes
> about 10 hours to backup. I've changed inparallel to 8 and maxdumps
> to 8 also. The dumporder is "sssSsssS". In the latest test, the
> backup completed in 8 hours and 41 minutes. I'm using amanda with
> gnutar and Samba to do the backup. Does anyone have any ideas on
> how I may improve the performance of this backup? Thanks. Bob...

You didn't post your disklist Bob.  And while you can use samba, if
you can get cygwin installed on the m$ boxes so you can build and run
an amanda client on each box, then you have the possibility of doing
as show below.

One of the things that will speed things up is to make sure that each
disklist entry that is in fact on a different hard drive has a
different, unique to that disk, 'spindle number', usually the last
item on each line of the disklist.  This will allow amanda to run in
parallel, a client for each spindle, speeding things up considerably.

I have no idea how this will play out in a samba environment however
as after the first dozen runs, I learned to avoid that at all costs.
This is due to the broken way windows and samba handle the files
dateing, which results in an incremental being made into a full in
most cases.  Since that is never going to be fixed, its time to walk
away Jim, the horse is dead.

That, combined with making the clients do the compression so that many
clients can all be working on the compression of their own stuff at
the same as the others, and a 10 hour backup can become a 2 hour
backup, depending of course on the speed of the tape drive itself.

This is dependant on making cygwin run on your M$ boxes I think.
Somebody correct me please if this in in-accurate due to recent
progress on the windows front.  My windows are all made of glass
here, a 100% linux house.  :)

>Robert Zahn     UNIX Systems Administrator
>Oklahoma City Community College
>7777 S. May Avenue
>Oklahoma City, Ok 73159
>bzahn AT zeus.okccc DOT edu    bzahn AT okccc DOT edu
>--

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: