Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple Tapes in Single run issue

2003-06-25 10:32:53
Subject: Re: Multiple Tapes in Single run issue
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Nicholas Berry" <nikberry AT med.umich DOT edu>, <amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, <vijayb AT ooty.tenet.res DOT in>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:15:12 -0400
On Wednesday 25 June 2003 08:25, Nicholas Berry wrote:
>Yes it is. You need to use a tape changer script.

Unforch you missed the keyword, his *image* is bigger than a tape, and
amanda cannot span a single filesystem across nore than one tape.

He will have to use tar, and break that filesystem up into its
subdirs, one DLE (disklist entry) per subdir.

I've been doing that for my /usr's directories for quite some time.  A
side advantage is that in having smaller DLE's, amanda can do a much
better job of balanceing the nightly tape useage, I'm pretty
consistently in the middle 90 % range now that the dust has settled.

If amanda hit the tapes EOT while writing a DLE, and runtapes is
greater than 1, then amanda can load the next tape, but that DLE will
then be restarted from byte number 1 on the next tape.  If that DEL
is bigger than a tape, then its an endless cycle, that DLE will never
be successfully taped.

>See docs/TAPE.CHANGERS.
>
>You can either use a real tape changer, or set up several drives and
>use
>the chg-multi script to fake a real changer.
>
>Nik

>Hi all,
>     I have a backup image of some size greater than the tape size.
> Is
>
>multiple tapes in single run support available in amanda. If not how
>to go about this issue? What kind of configuration is needed in this
>scenario?
>
>thanks,
>Vijay
>Nilgiri Networks