Amanda-Users

was: OT: Drive not responding--Now LVD Vs. HVD SCSI (review)

2003-06-24 10:38:56
Subject: was: OT: Drive not responding--Now LVD Vs. HVD SCSI (review)
From: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:34:22 -0500
Mitch finally has some success with DRIVEs/SCSI
After a week's delay, I finally (ah!) found out that my LVD SCSI X80 Tape
system was
plugged into a HVD differential SCSI HA card. (and I wondered why I got bus
fault errors when it was plugged into there.
(anyway.  I NOW know that a LVD SCSI system IS totally compatible with SUN's
UltraSCSI 2 port that is built into my 420R.
(DUH?!!-it only took me a week...)

SO Now:
> Exabyte tells me that I need to:
> a) do a probe-scsi all (with Tape off, and presumably no cable connected)
> b) connect drive/cable, power on
> c) boot, edit my /kernel/drv/st.conf file with some Mammouth-specific
> parameters
> d) do a boot -r (to rebuild drivers )
 * <--  (On Solaris 9, possibly 8, you might be able to do the same thing by
using
    a command, devfsadm, after booting.)
> e) I should then see /dev/rmt rebuilt with many differnent files.

> f) I should then be able to do a mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status to see if drive
> responds.
" Exabyte Mammoth2 tape drive:
   sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense   residual= 0   retries= 0
   file no= 0   block no= 0
"
Hey.  it's a response.  much better.

Now I need to try some other low level stuff!  great.

...other stuff (like st.conf file...deleted)

thanks alot all, & especially Jon!