Amanda-Users

Re: Restore Problems 2.4.4 - Unexpected EOF

2003-06-24 06:16:06
Subject: Re: Restore Problems 2.4.4 - Unexpected EOF
From: Adam Kirby <a.kirby AT eim.surrey.ac DOT uk>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:09:29 +0100 (BST)
Thanks for the reply Jon and sorry for the delay in responding.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> > I've been using amanda 2.4.1 on Solaris 2.5.1 with a DLT4000 for several
> > years without many problems. I've recently upgraded to Solaris 9, amanda
> > 2.4.4 and a Sun L280 (6-slot DLT7000). Most of the FS's are VxFS with a
> > few UFS. I'm just doing some test restores from the first night production
> > backups and have run into a problem I can't resolve.
>
> IIRC, VxFS has its own dump/restore programs as do ufs type file systems.
>
> How are you handling the selection of one pair vs the other.  I don't
> recall anything in amanda that allows varying dump/restore programs
> to be used.  Maybe I missed something?

Amanda does do this herself. I've been dumping a mixture of vxfs and ufs
FS's since I started using amanda. vxdump is automatically chosen for
vxfs and ufsdump for ufs.

> > The restores from VxFS partitions (via amrecover) work fine. But when I
> > try to restore from one of the UFS partitions it dies. I select the date,
> > host and FS, add a file to restore and extract. It ask me to confirm and
> > then load the correct tape. The tape is already loaded and rewound. As
> > soon as I type Y for the final (second) confirm it just returnes the
> > shell prompt. There are no errors in amrecover.*.debug but I get the
> > following at the end of amindexd.*.debug :
>
> The debuglogs should show what restore program was being invoked.
> Was it ufsrestore?

The amrecover.*.debug log reports sucessful connection to the index
server, a listing of the files, multiple :

add_file: Pondering ditem->path="/etc/vfstab.prevm"

and then :

amrecover: stream_client_privileged: connected to 131.227.86.16.10083
amrecover: stream_client_privileged: our side is 0.0.0.0.800
amrecover: try_socksize: receive buffer size is 65536

amindexd.*.debug reports similar success wrt connections and file listings
but ends with :

amindexd: time 23.641: < 200  Opaque list of /etc
amindexd: time 52.703: ? unexpected EOF
amindexd: time 52.703: removing index file:
/var/opt/amanda/ccsrB/index/machine.domain.com/_/20030623_0
amindexd: time 52.703: pid 11306 finish time Tue Jun 24 10:50:46 2003

I can see no mention in any of the debug files regarding the restore
program which leads me to believe that it isn't getting that far.

Many thanks.

Cheers, Adam