Amanda-Users

RE: adding snapshot backups?

2003-06-23 14:38:50
Subject: RE: adding snapshot backups?
From: "Ean Kingston" <ean_kingston AT kanetix DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:35:25 -0400
It sounds to me like what you want to do is make a new amanda configuration
which you run once a week and have it take full backups only. You would then
need enough tapes to do say 12 full backups. That way you would have data from
about 3 months ago if you needed it.

Then, each week, in addition to your daily backups, you will do one extra
backup which is your full backup of everything.

It might be easier to get another 20 tapes and add them to your existing
rotation. That way you will have the 10 tapes you are using plus two full
cycles of backup history. Then you just go through all 30 tapes before starting
over.