Amanda-Users

how does Amanda decide which tape to use?

2003-06-23 15:13:22
Subject: how does Amanda decide which tape to use?
From: "Ean Kingston" <ean_kingston AT kanetix DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:11:38 -0400
Hi all,

I've got my tape drive stuff sorted out (thanks for all your help) and now I'm
looking at setting up my tape rotation schedule. I need to be sure I get it
right since it will be handed off to operators that won't be doing any
debugging if something goes wrong. So, here is my plan.

I will have a dump cycle of 7 days,
runs per cycle of 7 (1 per day),
tapes per run of 1,
I have 15 tapes,
and I would like to have 2 full backups before reusing a tape.

If I label the tapes as
TAPE001 through TAPE015 and do so in that order, I believe the first tape
Amanda will want to use is TAPE001 (or does it even matter?).

Now, assuming that I had the tape changing off to the operators on Monday (June
30), can I give them a document like this to follow?

DATE            TAPE-TO-REMOVE  TAPE-TO-INSERT
June 30 none                    TAPE001
July 1  TAPE001         TAPE002
July 2  TAPE002         TAPE003
July 15 TAPE015         TAPE001
July 16 TAPE001         TAPE002

Any other hints?

----
Ean Kingston (ean_kingston AT kanetix.com)
Analyst
Kanetix Ltd. (www.kanetix.com)
Phone: (416) 599-9779 x216