Amanda-Users

Re: adding snapshot backups?

2003-06-23 14:18:36
Subject: Re: adding snapshot backups?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: lloyd <subscr002 AT twilight-systems DOT com>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:16:03 -0400
On Monday 23 June 2003 13:44, lloyd wrote:
>currently, i have a backup schedule that uses ten tapes over ten
> days. however, i think this just provides one recent copy of a
> given file.
>
>periodically, i'd like to create snapshots (full backups) in case
>someone has a corrupt file that went unnoticed since the last
> backup.
>
>what's the best way to do this?  can i change my current config
> somehow, or should i create an additional config that runs the full
> backups?
>
>thanks

The best way is to add tapes to the tapecycle so that you have more
than one generation of backups on hand.  This has a minimal effect on
amanda and its daily operations.  I'm running a dumpcycle and
runspercycle of 7 days here, against a pool of 28 tapes,  DDS2's
being dirt cheap.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: