Amanda-Users

Re: chg-zd-mtx for TSL-9000

2003-06-13 14:03:54
Subject: Re: chg-zd-mtx for TSL-9000
From: Jim Rowan <jmr AT computing DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:01:31 -0500
Sorry, I wasn't very specific, was I?

This is mtx version 1.2.17rel on FreeBSD 4.8.

I'm able to talk to both the changer and the drive without any trouble.  The
issue is that when a tape is in the drive, mtx does not know what tape is
there, reporting "Unknown Storage Element".  This confuses chg-zd-mtx, and the
'current' and 'next' functions don't work.  Thus, amtape doesn't work.

(In the following example, the tape from slot 4 was loaded into the drive.)

zuum# mtx -f /dev/pass2 status
  Storage Changer /dev/pass2:1 Drives, 8 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Unknown Storage Element Loaded)
      Storage Element 1:Full
      Storage Element 2:Full
      Storage Element 3:Full
      Storage Element 4:Empty
      Storage Element 5:Full
      Storage Element 6:Full
      Storage Element 7:Full
      Storage Element 8:Empty

I've searched the list archives (on yahoo) and it seems Uwe Berger ran into
this same problem -- I'm hoping he's listening.. :)  It seems I can't get his
email address without subscribing there, and I want to avoid that...

Thanks,
Jim
jmr AT computing DOT com