Amanda-Users

variations on blocksize setting

2003-06-13 13:02:24
Subject: variations on blocksize setting
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:00:00 -0400
Hi all;

I'm having some issues with attempting to work out a 'how much is left
on this tape' scenario, and having a fixed block size of 32K on the
tape so that an mt tell gives a reasonable and consistent value that
can be used for these calculations.  And I'm apparently having
trouble when a setblk 0 is in effect.

The relative merits of setblk vs defblksize in setting these two
parameters needs to be discussed/defined for the users again.

For instance, attempting to do an 'mt -f /dev/ice defblksize' of
anything other than 512 bytes renders the tape unreadable by amanda.
Or dd for that matter until you hit the magic twanger by resetting it
to whatever was in effect at the time the tape was last written.

So, regardless of the danger of repeating a 2 year old discussion, can
we have that discussion again from the real experts?  I've
re-installed enough times that those threads are gone from my own
mail archives, and maybe some of the rest of us could use a refresher
on this subject too.

Many thanks for any clarification that the amanda authors can do here.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: