Amanda-Users

Re: strategy

2003-06-03 10:35:46
Subject: Re: strategy
From: Bruce Fletcher <bruce AT homeperformance DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:31:18 -0700

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 12:57  AM, Paul Bijnens wrote:

Paolo Supino wrote:
more (idiotic) questions: Do the global dumpcycle and the one inside the backup type mean the same thing? If so do they have
to have the same entry? and then what should I put in the global
dumpcycle, runspercycle and tapecycle?

The global dumpcycle can be overruled for some specific dumptypes.
So that you can have e.g. a global dumpcycle of 7 days, but a few
important DLE's can specify a dumpcycle 0 (= full backups allways).
Runspercycle and tapecycle can only be global.

I assume there is nothing special about a DLE dumpcycle of 0, is there?
I.e. a DLE dumpcycle of 3 won't somehow conflict with a (global)
runspercycle of 5?

And how does one cope as data storage requirements start to increase?
My understanding is that you can do the following:

- if necessary, label a few more tapes and increase the tapecycle
- increase the global and DLE dumpcycles as required

There are no other steps involved?  If I have that right, it just
seems too easy.

Thanks,
- Bruce