Amanda-Users

Re: recovering

2003-04-30 21:35:29
Subject: Re: recovering
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Joseph Sirucka <Joseph.Sirucka AT team.telstra.com DOT au>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:30:15 -0500
--On Thursday, May 01, 2003 11:06:45 +1000 Joseph Sirucka <Joseph.Sirucka AT
team.telstra.com DOT au> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to recover as my previous emails.
>
> I am running redhat linux 8 with amanda 2.4.2p1.
>
> I consistantly get 501 errors "Couldn't cd into
> /usr/local/etc/amanda/daily. Misconfiguration?"
>
> the debug in /tmp/amanda is shwing no errors.
>
> what exactly can I do to get this working.

It means what it says. Apparently you have a config named 'daily'
and Amanda is unable to cd into the directory where it thinks that
config's files should be (/usr/local/etc/amanda/daily).  If that directory
exists, check the permissions.  If it doesn't exist, the quick and
dirty fix is to link it to wherever it actually resides.  Then after
you restore what you need you can debug why your configuration doesn't
match your installation.
   For the benefit of others who might be reading the list, it's best
to try a restore before you actually need it in order to get familiar
with the procedure while not under a lot of stress.

> If all else fails can I extract the data from the tape manually.

Yes, that's one of Amanda's strengths. The first 'file' on a tape
is a label, each following 'file' is a dump or tar image.  Just
skip forward to the one you need and read it and pipe it to restore
or tar as appropriate.  There are more detailed instructions in the
docs and in 'the chapter' at http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html

> regards
>
> Joseph

Good luck,